RobbDogg's Rips

Serving the online community to bring awareness to political and social issues affecting Liberals and Progressives. Podcasts are posted every Monday morning and original commentaries are posted throughout the week.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Mr. Raider Retires To Fuel His Passion

So why am I posting a sports story on RobbDogg's Rips? Because this one deals with a social issue that is going to change the face of stock car racing.

Tim Brown, who announced his retirement from the Oakland Raiders yesterday, is going to start his own NASCAR racing team with support of Roush Racing. Roush Racing is the best Ford Motor Company-sponsored racing team in the NEXTEL Cup Series, and they are going to supply Tim's new team with engines and chassis.

This will definitely help establish Tim as a successful African-American car owner, and in turn this will help change the face of NASCAR racing.

Here's an excert from an artice that appeared on ESPN.com yesterday.

NASCAR may fuel his retirement

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Nearly a year after the Oakland Raiders thought Tim Brown was ready to retire, their most prolific receiver finally agreed.

Brown signed a one-day contract and retired with the Raiders on Monday, putting a graceful end to the turbulent final months of his 17-year NFL career.

Brown, the Heisman Trophy winner at Notre Dame in 1987, spent his first 16 seasons with the Raiders in Los Angeles and Oakland, becoming the self-proclaimed "Mr. Raider." But after refusing to accept a minor role with Oakland last year, Brown spent one last disappointing season in a small role with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Though that career choice might have hurt a few feelings among the Raiders' executives and fans, Brown always wanted his final NFL jersey to be silver and black.

"At some point in my career, I didn't think this day would ever come," Brown said. "I thought I'd just keep playing and keep playing. But I'm very glad this day has come, and I can move on to the next phase of my life.

"I feel great. I feel as if I can still play five years of football ... but maybe the reason to retire is because I feel so good," he said.


Click here to read the entire article from ESPN.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home